The certification is a critical part of being a personal trainer. However, in order to get certified, you will need to study quite a bit and pass an exam given by a certifying organization. There are many programs that will help you meet these goals, but it is difficult to state unequivocally that one is better than another; what might be good for one person can be unworkable for someone else. When it comes to finding the best personal trainer certification, you will need to look at your current situation and who you wish to serve in the future.
One major factor in evaluating which personal training certification is best is accreditation. You should be certified by an organization that has been accredited, especially one that is accepted by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
There are several bodies that you might want to find out about, including the following:
• National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association (NESTA)
• American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
• National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF)
• National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
• National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT)
• National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
• International Fitness Professionals Association (IFPA)
• American Council on Exercise (ACE)
Keep in mind that you also can attend personal trainer schools which offer classes that will prepare you for the certifying exams of one or more of the organizations listed above.